This course seeks to provide an elementary introduction to India’s economic and social development since independence. The topics to be covered are listed below:
1. Impact of British Colonial rule on Indian development
2. The structure of Indian Economy at independence
3. Economic growth and development performance since independence : A macro overview
4. Sectoral performance: Agriculture, Industry, Social sectors, Demography
5. Development strategies; Role of state, market and planning.
6. Indian Economy: Issues of importance