Anup Kumar Bhandari
Room No: HSB 341A
Tel: +91 2257 4531
- Ph.D. in Quantitative Economics, Indian Statistical Institute
- M. Sc., Economics, Vidyasagar University, West Bengal, India (Econometrics and Statistics were Special Papers)
- B. Sc., Economics, Vidyasagar University, West Bengal, India (Compulsory Mathematics as one major Pass Paper)
Past Research Experience:
- Associate Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai 600036, Tamil Nadu, India (Since July 2016 —)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai 600036, Tamil Nadu, India (Since December 2012 to July 2016)
- Assistant Professor, Centre for Development Studies, Prasanth Nagar Road, Ulloor, Trivandrum, Kerala 695011, India (July, 2009 – December, 2012)
- Economist, ICRA Ltd., Kolkata (February, 2008 – July, 2009)
- Part Time Research Fellow in the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata (August, 2007 – February, 2008)
- Completed Tenure as a Full Time Research Fellow in the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata (August, 2002 – July, 2007)
- Taught Microeconomics, Statistics, Econometrics, Issues in Indian Industrial Development at the Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, India
- Instructed the IT Lab (#HM1140), Econometrics (#HS4011) and Applied Econometrics (#HS6510) to the Integrated MA Students of the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at IIT Madras
- Also taught two contact courses to two final year students (one from Department of Humanities and Social Sciences (Course: Optimization and Economic Theory) and the other from the Department of Engineering Design (Course: Principles of Economics), IIT Madras) in Summer 2013
- Currently teaching Statistics (#HS3014) and Microeconomics (#HS3023) (as core courses to the Integrated MA students) and Principles of Economics (#HS3002) and Production Economics: Efficiency and Productivity Analysis (#HS6140) (as electives to the B Tech students) at IIT Madras.
- Production Economics
- Productivity and Efficiency Analysis using both of Stochastic Frontier Analysis (SFA) and Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA)
- Applied Industrial Economics
- Issues related to Indian Banking and Indian Financial Markets
- Prefer to teach Microeconomics; Statistics; Econometrics; Mathematical Economics
In Refereed Journals:
- Withdrawal of the Multi-Fibre Agreement and Indian Textiles Industry: Concerns, Efforts and Achievements, Review of Development Economics (Forthcoming).
- Kerala State Road Transport Corporation: A Relook at Its Efficiency and Potential (with P. Sreelakshmi), Economic and Political Weekly, 55 (48), 57-64, 2020. https://www.epw.in/journal/2020/48/special-articles/kerala-state-road-transport-corporation.html
- Financial Deregulation, Competition and Cost Efficiency of Indian Commercial Banks: Is there any Convergence? (with Md. Shahid Zaman), Indian Economic Review, 55 (2), 283-312, 2020. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s41775-020-00100-7
- Outsourcing and Firm Performance Nexus: An Analysis Using the Conventional and Panel Double-bootstrap Procedure (with Vipin V.), Research in International Business and Finance, Forthcoming. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0275531919302363?dgcid=coauthor#
- Conventional Procedure vis-à-vis Bootstrap-Based Corrections of Efficiency Analyses (with Vipin V.), Indian Growth and Development Review, 13 (3), 505-536, 2020. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/IGDR-04-2019-0035/full/html
- Credit Risk – Return Puzzle: Evidence from India (with Elizabeth N.), Economic Modelling, 92, 195-206, 2020. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264999319305528
- Does Win-Win Opportunity always Result in Pollution Abatement? An Application of Directional Distance Function to Indian Cement Industry” (with Sabuj K. Mandal), The Journal of Developing Areas, 54 (4), 161-174, 2020. https://muse.jhu.edu/article/738668/pdf
- Institutionalist versus Distortionist Views of Labor Market Reforms: An Investigation into the Post-Liberalized Manufacturing Sector in India (with A. Sudarsan), Journal of Economics, Finance and Administrative Science, 21 (41), 63-72, 2016; http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2077188616300208
- Efficiency and Related Technological Aspects of the Indian Food Processing Industry: A Non-Parametric Analysis (with Vipin, V.), The Journal of Developing Areas, 50 (6), (Special Issue), 227-243, 2016; https://muse.jhu.edu/article/626804/pdf
- Bank Ownership and Efficiency in India: Some Fresh Evidence, Keio Economic Studies, 50, 1-28, 2014; http://koara.lib.keio.ac.jp/xoonips/modules/xoonips/download.php/AA00260492-20140000-0001.pdf?file_id=94763
- Global Crisis, Environmental Volatility and Expansion of Indian Leather Industry, Journal of Quantitative Economics, New Series, 10 (1), 156-176, 2012; https://econpapers.repec.org/article/jqejqenew/v_3a10_3ay_3a2012_3ai_3a1_3ap_3a156-176.htm
- Total Factor Productivity Growth and its Decomposition: The Indian Banking Sector during Liberalization, Economic and Political Weekly, 47 (12), 68-76, 2012; https://www.jstor.org/stable/23214504?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents
- Efficiency of the Indian Leather Firms: Some Results Obtained using the Two Conventional Methods (with Pradip Maiti), Journal of Productivity Analysis, 37 (1), 73-93, 2012; https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11123-011-0219-1
- Technical Efficiency in the Indian Textiles Industry: A Non-Parametric Analysis of Firm-Level Data (with Subhash C. Ray), Bulletin of Economic Research, 64 (1), 109-124, 2012; https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-8586.2010.00381.x
- On the Distribution of Estimated Technical Efficiency in Stochastic Frontier Models: Revisited, International Journal of Business and Economics, 10 (1), 69-80, 2011; http://www.ijbe.org/table of content/pdf/vol10-1/vol10-1-06.pdf
- Concentration, Entry Barriers and Profitability in the Indian Industries: An Empirical Analysis, Journal of Quantitative Economics, New Series, 8 (2), 61-80, 2010; https://econpapers.repec.org/article/jqejqenew/v_3a8_3ay_3a2010_3ai_3a2_3ap_3a61-80.htm
- Efficiency of Indian Manufacturing Firms: Textile Industry as a Case Study (with Pradip Maiti), International Journal of Business and Economics, 6 (1), 71-88, 2007; http://www.ijbe.org/table of content/pdf/vol6-1/vol6-1-06.pdf
In Edited Volumes:
- Productive Efficiency of Agricultural Sector in Uttar Pradesh (with K. S. Khati and D. Mukherjee) in Contemporary Issues in Sustainable Development: The Case of India, by T. Chakraborty (IIM Kolkata), D. Mukherjee (IIT Kanpur), S. Saha (IIT Kanpur) (Eds.), Routledge India, ISBN (Hardback): 978-1-138-22710-1, 2020, Forthcoming.
- Investors’ Attention and Stock Returns: Recent Indian Evidence (with Elizabeth N.) in Contemporary Issues in Econometrics: Theory and Application, by Anil K. Bera (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) and Srikanta Kundu (Centre for Develoment Studies, Trivandrum) (Eds.), Springer International, 2020, Forthcoming.
- Efficiency of Indian Leather Firms: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis (with Pradip Maiti) in Themes on Quantitative Economics, by Dr. Arpita Dhar (Ed.), The Allied Publishers.
- Productivity, Technical Progress and Scale Efficiency in Indian Manufacturing: New Evidence using Non-Parametric Approach (with other co-authors) in Productivity in Indian Manufacturing: Measurement, Methods and Analysis by Dr. Vinish Kathuria, Prof. Kunal Sen and Dr. Rajesh Raj (Eds.), The Rutledge.
Current Research Papers:
- Conducive Impact of Packing Credit against Short Term Bank Loan in Financing Export: Evidence from India (with Gargi Sanati and Rudra Ray) [2nd revised version is submitted]
- Stressed Assets, Off-Balance Sheet Business Activities and Performance of Indian Banking Sector: A DEA Double Bootstrap Approach (with Shahid Zaman) [Submitted to a journal for publication]
- Guided one PhD scholar (degree awarded)
- Currently guiding two regular (sole guidance) and one external (jointly with Prof. D. Malathy) PhD scholars at the IIT Madras
- (Jointly with other colleagues) Guided FOUR students to complete their MPhil Dissertation at the Centre for Development Studies.
- A number of students completed MA project under my guidance
- Guided two Interns to successfully complete short-term research project during summer vacations
Research Project Completed:
- Participated as a group member in completing the Planning Commission of India’s project Mid-term Appraisal of Eleventh Five-Year Plan of Kerala. The project report is already submitted to the Planning Commission.
- An Assessment of Performance of Indian Textiles Industry: 1999-2000 to 2014-15 (Submitted the Final Report) (The Report is Accepted and Recommended for Publication by the ICSSR) (ICSSR funded project, valued INR 9 Lakh)
- Capital Asset Pricing Model: An Investigation into the Indian Stock Market (NFSC Project at IIT Madras)
Selected Awards Own:
- Junior (and subsequently, Senior) Research Fellowship of the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata
- University Gold Medal for standing first in M. Sc. Economics, 2001
- University Gold Medal for standing first in Economics Honours, 1999
- Harisadhan Bhattacharya Memorial Award for standing 1st amongst the successful candidates in Economics (Honours) of the University, 1999
- National Scholarship for students of class VIII in the Rural Areas, 1992
- Organized (Jointly with other colleagues) XI Annual Conference of the Forum for Global Knowledge Sharing (FGKS) at the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Madras, December 3-5, 2016; Theme: Globalization of Technology and Development.
- Organized (Jointly with other colleagues) XIV Annual Conference of the Forum for Global Knowledge Sharing (FGKS) at the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Madras, October 11-13, 2019; Theme: Technology and Economy.
Conference / Workshop Participation:
- Presented a paper in a Workshop organized by the Department of Economics, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, 2005
- Presented a paper in the 2nd International Conference on Issues in Development Economics, Department of Economics, University of Burdwan, West Bengal, January 30-31, 2006
- 3rd Annual Conference of Planning Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, Delhi during December 13-15, 2006
- South and South East Asia Econometric Society Meeting (SAMES06) at The Institute of Financial Management and Research (IFMR), Chennai, India during December 18-20, 2006
- 5th International Symposium on DEA at the Indian School of Business, Hyderabad, India during January 5-7, 2007
- UGC-SAP Conference at the Centre for Economic Studies and Planning (CESP), School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India during January 31 – February 2, 2008
- The 30th Anniversary Conference of the Institute of Rural Management Anand, Anand, Gujarat, India during December 15-16, 2009
- The 3rd ECONference at the University of Burdwan, West Bengal, India during December 29-30, 2009.
- CAS Conference at the Jadavpur University, Kolkata, West Bengal, India during January 7-8, 2010
- 47th Annual Conference of the Indian Econometric Society held at Devi Ahilya University, Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India during January 6-8, 2011
- ESRC Productivity Workshop held at Sailesh J. Mehta School of Management, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India during March 18-19, 2011
- 52nd Annual Conference of The Indian Econometric Society held at IIM Kozhikode, Kerala, India during January 4-6, 2016
- 15th European Workshop on Efficiency and Productivity Analysis, Loughborough University, London, UK during June 12-15, 2017