Anup Kumar Bhandari
Room No: HSB 341A
Tel: +91 2257 4531
- Ph.D. in Quantitative Economics, Indian Statistical Institute
- M. Sc., Economics, Vidyasagar University, West Bengal, India (Econometrics and Statistics were Special Papers)
- B. Sc., Economics, Vidyasagar University, West Bengal, India (Compulsory Mathematics as one major Pass Paper)
Past Research Experience:
- Associate Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai 600036, Tamil Nadu, India (Since July 2016 —)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai 600036, Tamil Nadu, India (December 2012 to July 2016)
- Assistant Professor, Centre for Development Studies, Prasanth Nagar Road, Ulloor, Trivandrum, Kerala 695011, India (July 2009 – December 2012)
- Economist, ICRA Ltd., Kolkata (February 2008 – July 2009)
- Part-Time Research Fellow at the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata (August 2007 – February 2008)
- Completed Tenure as a Full-Time Research Fellow in the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata (August 2002 – July 2007)
- Taught Microeconomics, Statistics, Econometrics, Issues in Indian Industrial Development at the Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, India
- Instructed the IT Lab (#HM1140), Econometrics (#HS4011) and Applied Econometrics (#HS6510) to the Integrated MA Students of the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at IIT Madras
- I also taught two contact courses to two final year students (one from Department of Humanities and Social Sciences (Course: Optimization and Economic Theory) and the other from the Department of Engineering Design (Course: Principles of Economics), IIT Madras) in Summer 2013
- Currently teaching Statistics (#HS3014) and Microeconomics (#HS3023) (as core courses to the Integrated MA students) and Principles of Economics (#HS3002) and Production Economics: Efficiency and Productivity Analysis (#HS6140) (as electives to the B Tech students) at IIT Madras.
- Production Economics
- Productivity and Efficiency Analysis using both Stochastic Frontier Analysis (SFA) and Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA)
- Applied Industrial Economics
- Issues related to Indian Banking and Indian Financial Markets
- Prefer to teach Microeconomics; Statistics; Econometrics; Mathematical Economics; and other allied papers.
1. Single Author:
In Refereed Journals:
- Withdrawal of the Multi-Fibre Agreement and Indian Textiles Industry: Concerns, Efforts and Achievements, Review of Development Economics, 25(3), 1397-1436, 2021. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/rode.12760
- Bank Ownership and Efficiency in India: Some Fresh Evidence, Keio Economic Studies, 50, 1-28, 2014; http://koara.lib.keio.ac.jp/xoonips/modules/xoonips/download.php/AA00260492-20140000-0001.pdf?file_id=94763
- Global Crisis, Environmental Volatility and Expansion of Indian Leather Industry, Journal of Quantitative Economics, New Series, 10 (1), 156-176, 2012; https://econpapers.repec.org/article/jqejqenew/v_3a10_3ay_3a2012_3ai_3a1_3ap_3a156-176.htm
- Total Factor Productivity Growth and its Decomposition: The Indian Banking Sector during Liberalization, Economic and Political Weekly, 47 (12), 68-76, 2012; https://www.jstor.org/stable/23214504?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents
- On the Distribution of Estimated Technical Efficiency in Stochastic Frontier Models: Revisited, International Journal of Business and Economics, 10 (1), 69-80, 2011; https://ijbe.fcu.edu.tw/assets/ijbe/past_issue/No.10-1/pdf/vol_10-1-6.pdf
- Concentration, Entry Barriers and Profitability in the Indian Industries: An Empirical Analysis, Journal of Quantitative Economics, New Series, 8 (2), 61-80, 2010; https://econpapers.repec.org/article/jqejqenew/v_3a8_3ay_3a2010_3ai_3a2_3ap_3a61-80.htm
2. Jointly with MA students, from their Project dissertation:
In Refereed Journals:
An Investigation into the Selected Non-banking Financial Companies in India: Performance, Concerns, and Regulatory Requirements. (with Nithin Pradeep), Economic and Political Weekly, 57 (44-45), 49-57, 2022. https://www.epw.in/journal/2022/44-45/special-articles/investigation-selected-non-banking-financial.html
- Kerala State Road Transport Corporation: A Relook at Its Efficiency and Potential (with P. Sreelakshmi), Economic and Political Weekly, 55 (48), 57-64, 2020. https://www.epw.in/journal/2020/48/special-articles/kerala-state-road-transport-corporation.html
- Institutionalist versus Distortionist Views of Labor Market Reforms: An Investigation into the Post-Liberalized Manufacturing Sector in India (with A. Sudarsan), Journal of Economics, Finance and Administrative Science, 21 (41), 63-72, 2016; http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2077188616300208
3. Jointly with Doctoral Scholars:
In Refereed Journals:
Dynamics of total factor productivity growth: An empirical analysis of Indian commercial banks (with Md Shahid Zaman and Vipin V.) Journal of Economic Asymmetries, 26, November 2022. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1703494922000287
- Stressed Assets, Off-Balance Sheet Business Activities and Performance of Indian Banking Sector: A DEA Double Bootstrap Approach (with Md Shahid Zaman), Studies in Economics and Finance. 39 (4), 572 – 592, 2022. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/SEF-09-2020-0369/full/html
- Financial Deregulation, Competition and Cost Efficiency of Indian Commercial Banks: Is there any Convergence? (with Md. Shahid Zaman), Indian Economic Review, 55 (2), 283-312, 2020. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s41775-020-00100-7
- Outsourcing and Firm Performance Nexus: An Analysis Using the Conventional and Panel Double-bootstrap Procedure (with Vipin V.), Research in International Business and Finance, Vol. 54 (December 2020). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0275531919302363?dgcid=coauthor#
- Conventional Procedure vis-à-vis Bootstrap-Based Corrections of Efficiency Analyses (with Vipin V.), Indian Growth and Development Review, 13 (3), 505-536, 2020. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/IGDR-04-2019-0035/full/html
- Credit Risk – Return Puzzle: Evidence from India (with Elizabeth N.), Economic Modelling, 92, 195-206, 2020. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264999319305528
- Efficiency and Related Technological Aspects of the Indian Food Processing Industry: A Non-Parametric Analysis (with Vipin, V.), The Journal of Developing Areas, 50 (6), (Special Issue), 227-243, 2016; https://muse.jhu.edu/article/626804/pdf
In Edited Volume:
- Investors’ Attention and Stock Returns: Recent Indian Evidence (with Elizabeth N.) in Contemporary Issues in Econometrics: Theory and Application, by Anil K. Bera and Srikanta Kundu (Eds.), Springer International, (Forthcoming).
4. Jointly with Mentors:
In Refereed Journals:
- Efficiency of the Indian Leather Firms: Some Results Obtained using the Two Conventional Methods (with Pradip Maiti), Journal of Productivity Analysis, 37 (1), 73-93, 2012; https://www.jstor.org/stable/43548527. Also available at https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11123-011-0219-1
- Technical Efficiency in the Indian Textiles Industry: A Non-Parametric Analysis of Firm-Level Data (with Subhash C. Ray), Bulletin of Economic Research, 64 (1), 109-124, 2012; https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-8586.2010.00381.x
- Efficiency of Indian Manufacturing Firms: Textile Industry as a Case Study (with Pradip Maiti), International Journal of Business and Economics, 6 (1), 71-88, 2007; https://ijbe.fcu.edu.tw/assets/ijbe/past_issue/No.06-1/pdf/vol_6-1-6.pdf
In Edited Volumes:
- Efficiency of Indian Leather Firms: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis (with Pradip Maiti) in Themes on Quantitative Economics, by Arpita Dhar (Ed.), The Allied Publishers.
5. Jointly with other collaborators:
In Refereed Journals:
- Does Win-Win Opportunity always Result in Pollution Abatement? An Application of Directional Distance Function to Indian Cement Industry” (with Sabuj K. Mandal), The Journal of Developing Areas, 54 (4), 161-174, 2020. https://muse.jhu.edu/article/738668/pdf
In Edited Volumes:
- Productive Efficiency of Agricultural Sector in Uttar Pradesh (with K. S. Khati and D. Mukherjee) in Contemporary Issues in Sustainable Development: The Case of India, by T. Chakraborty, D. Mukherjee, and S. Saha (Eds.), Routledge India, ISBN (Hardback): 978-1-138-22710-1, 2020.
- Productivity, Technical Progress and Scale Efficiency in Indian Manufacturing: New Evidence using Non-Parametric Approach (with other co-authors) in Productivity in Indian Manufacturing: Measurement, Methods and Analysis by Vinish Kathuria, Kunal Sen and Rajesh Raj (Eds.), The Rutledge.
Current Research Papers:
- Conducive Impact of Packing Credit against Short Term Bank Loan in Financing Export: Evidence from India (with Gargi Sanati and Rudra Ray) [2nd revised version is submitted]
- Stability of Cooperative Banks in Kerala: A Comparative Study of Banks across Ownership Structures (with Hasna M. Ashraf) [Submitted to a Journal for Publication]
- Recovery Induced Operational Efficiency of Indian Commercial Banks: An Alternative Approach to Accommodate Stressed Assets as Undesirable By-products (with Gargi Sanati) [Written under the (offered to us) Scholarship for Faculty Members from Academic Institutions, 2020 by the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI’s) Scheme. The Paper is Submitted to the RBI for Further Procedures]
- Risk Factors, Uncertainty and Investment Decision: Evidence from Mutual Fund Flows in India (with Elizabeth N.) [Submitted to a journal for Publication]
- Towards a Better Measure of Productivity in India: A Case of Chemical and Chemical Products Industry (with Vipin V.) [Submitted to a journal for Publication]
- Guided Three Ph.D. scholars (degree awarded)
- “Credit Risk, Investor Attention and Investment Decisions: An Empirical Investigation into the Indian Equity Market”—by Elizabeth N. (Solo Guidance)
- “Performance of Indian Commercial Banks: A Post Deregulation Experience”—by Md. Shahid Zaman (Solo Guidance)
- “Performance of Indian Industries: Conventional and Bootstrap-Based Inferences”—by Vipin V. (Solo Guidance)
- Currently guiding Two regular (sole guidance) and two external Ph.D. scholars at the IIT Madras
- (Jointly with other colleagues) Guided FOUR students to complete their MPhil Dissertation at the Centre for Development Studies.
- A number of students completed MA projects under my guidance
- Guided two Interns to complete a short-term research project during summer vacations successfully.
- Performance benchmarking of school education system in India: A case study of Bihar and UP. (Jointly with collaborators from IIT Roorkee and South Asian University).
- Participated as a group member in completing the Planning Commission of India’s project Mid-term Appraisal of Eleventh Five-Year Plan of Kerala. The project report is already submitted to the Planning Commission.
- An Assessment of Performance of Indian Textiles Industry: 1999-2000 to 2014-15 (Submitted the Final Report) (The Report is Accepted and Recommended for Publication by the ICSSR) (ICSSR funded project, valued INR 9 Lakh)
- Capital Asset Pricing Model: An Investigation into the Indian Stock Market (NFSC Project at IIT Madras)
Selected Awards Own:
- Junior (and subsequently, Senior) Research Fellowship of the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata
- University Gold Medal for standing first in M. Sc. Economics, 2001
- University Gold Medal for standing first in Economics Honours, 1999
- Harisadhan Bhattacharya Memorial Award for standing 1st amongst the successful candidates in Economics (Honours) of the University, 1999
- National Scholarship for students of class VIII in the Rural Areas, 1992
- Organized (Jointly with other colleagues) XI Annual Conference of the Forum for Global Knowledge Sharing (FGKS) at the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Madras, December 3-5, 2016; Theme: Globalization of Technology and Development.
- Organized (Jointly with other colleagues) XIV Annual Conference of the Forum for Global Knowledge Sharing (FGKS) at the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Madras, October 11-13, 2019; Theme: Technology and Economy.
Conference / Workshop Participation:
- Presented a paper in a Workshop organized by the Department of Economics, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, 2005
- Presented a paper in the 2nd International Conference on Issues in Development Economics, Department of Economics, University of Burdwan, West Bengal, January 30-31, 2006
- 3rd Annual Conference of Planning Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, Delhi during December 13-15, 2006
- South and South East Asia Econometric Society Meeting (SAMES06) at The Institute of Financial Management and Research (IFMR), Chennai, India during December 18-20, 2006
- 5th International Symposium on DEA at the Indian School of Business, Hyderabad, India during January 5-7, 2007
- UGC-SAP Conference at the Centre for Economic Studies and Planning (CESP), School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India during January 31 – February 2, 2008
- The 30th Anniversary Conference of the Institute of Rural Management Anand, Anand, Gujarat, India during December 15-16, 2009
- The 3rd ECONference at the University of Burdwan, West Bengal, India during December 29-30, 2009.
- CAS Conference at the Jadavpur University, Kolkata, West Bengal, India during January 7-8, 2010
- 47th Annual Conference of the Indian Econometric Society held at Devi Ahilya University, Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India during January 6-8, 2011
- ESRC Productivity Workshop held at Sailesh J. Mehta School of Management, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India during March 18-19, 2011
- 52nd Annual Conference of The Indian Econometric Society held at IIM Kozhikode, Kerala, India during January 4-6, 2016
- 15th European Workshop on Efficiency and Productivity Analysis, Loughborough University, London, UK during June 12-15, 2017
- Performance of Indian Textiles Industry: A Non-Parametric Analysis for the Last One and Half Decade, presented (online) at the 16th International Conference on Data Envelopment Analysis organized by the Jianghan University, Wuhan, China during October 25-28, 2018
- Financial Deregulation, Competition and Cost Efficiency of Indian Commercial Banks: Is there any Convergence?, presented at the Workshop on Data Envelopment Analysis for Performance Evaluation and Benchmarking during January 12-14, 2020