Professor of Linguistics
Room No.: HSB 345
Phone : +91 (44) 2257 4537
Email : email@example.com
- PhD (Linguistics), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003
- MPhil (Linguistics), University of Delhi, 1999
- MA (Linguistics), University of Delhi, 1997
- Natural Language Syntax and Typology of South Asian Languages
- Multilingualism in Education, Landscape, Human Cognition, and Politics
Rajesh Kumar is professor of linguistics in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at the Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai. He obtained his PhD in linguistics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Prior to joining IIT Madras, he taught at IIT Kanpur, and IIT Patna in India and at the University of Texas at Austin in the USA. He has been a visiting faculty at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences in Mumbai in India. His book on Syntax of Negation and Licensing of Negative Polarity Items was published by Routledge in their prestigious series Outstanding Dissertations in Linguistics in 2006. He is associate editor of the journal Language and Language Teaching. The broad goal of his research is to uncover regularities underlying both the form (what language is) and sociolinguistic functions (what language does) of natural languages.
- Associate Editor, (with Suranjan Barua), Language and Language Teaching
- Guest Editor (with Suranjan Barua), Language and Language Teaching [Volume 5, Number 1, Issue 12, July 2017 (ISSN No. 2277-307X )], Vidya Bhawan Society and Azim Premji University)
- Guest Editor (with Suranjan Barua), Language and Language Teaching [Volume 4, Number 2, Issue 8, July 2015 (ISSN No. 2277-307X )], Vidya Bhawan Society and Azim Premji University)
- Review Editor (2010-2013), Language and Language Teaching (ISSN No. 2277-307X ), Vidya Bhawan Society and Azim Premji University)
- Member Editorial Board (2010-xxxx), Language and Language Teaching (ISSN No. 2277-307X ), Vidya Bhawan Society and Azim Premji University)
- Kumar, R. (2006). Negation and licensing of negative polarity items in Hindi syntax. New York, London: Routledge.
(This book was selected by Routledge, New York for publication in their prestigious series Outstanding Dissertations in Linguistics.)
- Agnihotri, R.K. & Kumar, R. (2011). Some landmarks in the history of ideas — Jayant Lele lectures. Udaipur/ Bangalore: Vidya Bhawan Society, Udaipur and Azim Premji University.
This book has been translated in Marathi under the following title: Pashchatya vicharsarninchaya itihasatil mahatvache tappe (Pune: The Unique Academy) Translators: Vidyut Bhagwat and Abhay Kanta
- Singh, S.K. & Kumar, R., Prakash, O., & Lalremzami, C. (2017). Linguistic Ecology of Mizoram. Guwahati: EBH (Eastern Book House) Publishers.
- Om Prakash and Kumar, R. (2018). Linguistic Foundations of Identity: Readings in Language, Literature, and Contemporary Cultures, Aakar Publications, New Delhi
- Rajesh Kumar and Om Prakash. (2018). Language, Identity and Contemporary Society. London: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Rajesh Kumar and Om Prakash. (2019). Text, Context and Constructing Identity. London: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
Books (In contract):
- Language, Mind, and Society (Co-authored with R K Agnihotri) by Vidya Bhawan Society Udaipur with support from Sir Ratan Tata Trust (Tata Institute of Social Sciences), Mumbai
- I I T Madras (2012- xxxx)
- I I T Patna (2009-2012)
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences (Visiting Faculty for Summer)
- Visiting Faculty Osaka University, Osaka, Japan (2016)
- I I T Kanpur (2006-2007)
- University of Texas at Austin (2002-2006 and 2007-2009)
Keynotes and Plenaries
- 2019 ‘Identity – Bihar – Languages of Bihar’ a plenary talk at the Conference on Indigenous Languages in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at the IIT Patna [21 FEB 2019]
- 2019 ‘English in Linguistic Ecology of India: An Analysis from Structure, Acquisition, and Change in Natural Language, A plenary talk at the 63rd Annual Meeting of the Association of English Studies in India at SV University, Tirupati, (08 JAN 2019)
- 2017 ‘On Language-Mind-Culture: Evidence from the Structure of Language’ GLA University Mathura, UP (A plenary talk in International Seminar on Language Culture, and Identity, 11 November 2017)
- 2014, Language Acquisition and Multilingualism: Role of Linguistics in Language Teaching [Education], A plenary talk at the K.M. Prabhakara Variar Memorial Seminar on Dimensions of Contemporary Linguistics in the Department of Malayalam at the University of Madras, Chennai (10 January, 2014).
- 2013 ‘Universal Grammar and Multilingualism in Education: A Case of India’ Keynote Address at the First International Conference in English Language Education (Association for English Language Educators and Researchers) at the School of Education of the Moi University at Eldoret, Kenya (24-27 September, 2013).
- 2019 ‘Negation through select South Asian Languages’ at the Workshop on Approaches to the Study of Variation in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at the IIT Delhi [22 FEB 2019]
- 2018 ‘Tapping Existing Classroom Resources in between Teaching and Learning’ at the Sri Krishna Arts and Science College, Coimbatore (TN) [07 DEC 2018]
- 2018 ‘English in Multilingual India: A way of Life’ a talk at Rajiv Gandhi Memorial College of Engineering and Technology, Nandyal, AP (29 February 2018).
- 2017 ‘On Language-Mind-Culture Interface’ a workshop in the Department of English and Modern European Languages, Gautam Buddha University, Greater Noida (09 November 2017).
- 2017 ‘Understanding Nature of Language’ Dr. Jane Mangalam Stephen Endowment Lecture in the Department of English at the Lady Doak College, Madurai, Tamil Nadu (07 February 2017).
- 2016 ‘Language, Cognition, and Multilinguality’ at the Department of English and Modern European Languages, Gautam Buddha University, Greater Noida (04 October 2016).
- 2016 ‘NPIs in Natural Language’ at Linguistics Colloquium, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Delhi (05 August 2016).
- 2016 ‘Language in/of Education: Myths, hypes, and realities’ for the State Bank of India- Youth for India Foundation at the SBI Learning Center, Bangalore (30 July, 2016).
- 2016 ‘Mechanism of sound production and relevance of articulatory phonetics in learning difficulties’ at CARE Institute of Behavioral Sciences, Chennai (04 May 2016).
- 2016 ‘FL in Narrow Sense in Language and Cognition’ at the Indian Institute of Information Technology Guwahati (11 March 2016).
- 2016, ‘Functional Categories and Universal Properties of Language’, at the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Patna (26 February 2016).
- 2016 ‘Fluidity and Variation of Language Function in Society’ K.M. Prabhakara Variar Memorial Lecture in the Department of Malayalam at the Madras University, Chennai (10 January 2016).
- 2015 ‘Nature and Pedagogy of Language’ in the Annual Certificate Program on Foundation of Education, at Digantar, Jaipur (5-7 November 2015).
- 2015 ‘Nature and Function of Language’ at the Department of Malayalam at the Madras University, Chennai (15 October 2015).
- 2015 ‘Understanding Fluidity of Language: The only way to go for education’ in the symposium on Right to Education and Future of Our Languages at the Department of Linguistics, Mumbai University, Mumbai (09-11 March 2015).
- 2014 ‘Speech is a Mirror of the Soul- as we speak, so are we’: A perspective from Nature of Language’, A Rukmani Lakshmipathy Endowment Lecture at Women’s Christian College (University of Madras), Chennai (28 January, 2014).
- 2013 ‘Linguistic Theory and Form vs. Function: A Hands on Approach’, An invited focus talk at the International Student’s Conference on Linguistics in India (SCONLI-7), Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh (8-10 February, 2013).
- 2012 ‘Nature and Structure of Language (Language in Education), Room to Read (an autonomous institution working in the field of education), New Delhi (10 September, 2012).
- 2011 ‘Language Teaching and Theoretical Linguistics’ at the University Grants Commission Sponsored National Workshop on Globalization, National Integration and English Language Teaching in India at the J D Women’s College Patna in association with Guild of National English Writers, Editors, and Critics (GIEWEC), Kerala (August 2011) .
- 2010 ‘What makes a sentence: Implications and reflections’ at the Special Center for Sanskrit Studies at the Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi (August, 2010).
- 2010 ‘Representation of culturally sensitive information in language: Implications for resolving ambiguities’ in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi (23 March, 2010).
- 2009 ‘Structure of language’ at the State Council of Educational Research and Training (SCERT), Patna (March 2009).
- 2008 ‘Linguistic analyses and their implications for language teaching’ at Tata Institute of Social Sciences Mumbai (July 2008).
- 2008 ‘Representations of cultural components in syntactic structures of Hindi’ at Vidya Bhawan Society Udaipur (July 2008).
- 2008 ‘Teaching a language in the context and learning from errors’ at Educational Resource Center, Vidya Bhawan Society Udaipur (July 2008).
- Linguistic Society of America, Washington, DC
- International Association for World Englishes Inc. (IAWE)
- Linguistic Society of India, Pune, MH (05/09)
- Indian Science Congress Association, Kolkata, WB (L15158)
- Dravidian Linguistics Association of India, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- Association for English Studies of India
- Indian Sociological Society, New Delhi (LMI-3452)
- Sandarbha (Eklavya, Bhopal) (9192)
- Forum for Teachers of English Language and Literature (FORTELL), New Delhi, India
- Fortell is an associate of International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL), UK and an affiliate of Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages, Inc (TESOL)