Suresh Babu M
Room No.: HSB 349
Phone : +91 (44) 2257 4527
Email : email@example.com
- Ph.D. from the Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, 2002.
- M.Phil. (Applied Economics), Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, 1994.
- M.S. (Development Economics), Pondicherry Central University, 1992.
Areas of Research Interest:
- Applied Macroeconomics
- Industrial Economics
- Trade and Development
Teaching and Research Experience:
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Humanities, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai, Jan 2006 – .
- Research Associate at the Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, Kerala, India 2001-2004.
- Member WTO Forum on non-agricultural sector, Government of Kerala. 2003
- Taught Macroeconomics at the Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore, 2002.
- Worked as lecturer at the Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics Pune, India 2001.
- Consultant for the Asian Development Bank for identifying “Growth Potentials in Kerala’s Industrial Sector” 2000.
- Taught a course on “Industrial Structure and Competitive Strategy” at the Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode, 1999.
- ‘Local Consultant’ for the World Bank for the preparation of the Country Economic Memorandum 1996.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Forthcoming book titled “What and How do Indian Firms Innovate? jointly with K K Subrahmanian to be published by Macmillan.
- Loosing Out in a Growing Economy: Labour in Orgamised Manufacturing Sector in the era of Globalisation, Indian Journal of Labour Economics, Vol.52 No.2 2009
- Acquiring Knowledge for Innovations: Gleanings from an Innovation Survey in Indian Industry, International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development (forthcoming)
- Do Industrial Policy Reforms Reduce Entry Barriers? Evidence from Indian Manufacturing Industries, Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Vol. 11,4, December 2008
- Are FIIs Drivers of Indian Stock Markets? International Journal of Trade and Global Markets Vol 1, No.3, 2008
- Fiscal Sustainability of Tamil Nadu, Economic and Political Weekly March 15 2008
Recent Seminars Presented:
- Economic Reforms and Regional Manufacturing Performance: Evidence from India, European Workshop on Productivity and Efficiency Measurement, Pisa, Italy, Aug.2009
- Loosing Out in a Growing Economy: Labour in Orgamised Manufacturing Sector in the era of Globalisation, Golden Jubilee Conference of the Indian Society of Labour Economics, Lucknow, Dec.2008
- Human Development and Growth, Invited Lecture at the Conference on Human Development organized by the Tamil Nadu State planning Board and Madras Christian College, Jan.2008.
- Acquiring Knowledge for Innovations: Gleanings from an Innovation Survey in Indian Industry, Max Planck- IISc Annual Conference, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Oct. 2007.
- Economic Reforms and India’s industrial Sector, Special Lecture-Artha Madras Christian College, Sept.2007
- Market Power and Collusion set of lectures, Madras School of Economics, Sept.2007
- Economic Growth in India: an Overview of Issues, Madras Institute of Development Studies, Chennai Jan 2007.
- “Economic Reforms and Entry Barriers in Indian Manufacturing”, 23rd European Industrial Economics Society Conference, Bilbao, Spain Sept.5-7, 2005.
- Monitoring Sarva Siksha Abhayan in Tamil Nadu, funded by MHRDGovernment of India, 2009.
- Productivity and Efficiency of Manufacturing Enterprises in the Unorganized Sector, ICSSR,
- Micro and Small Enterprises and Innovation: Issues and Challenges funded by the Government of India,
- Trade Liberalization and Employment: Evidence from Indian Industry
- Economic Reforms, Industrial Structure
Popular writing and talks:
- Interview with Prof. Jagdish Bhagwati, Financial Express, Aug. 2009
- Current Inflation in India, Financial Express, March 2008.
- Monetary Policy and the RBI, Financial Express, October 2007.
- Restrictive Trade Practices in Cricket, Financial Express, August 2007
- Exchange rates and Exports, Financial Express, June 2007
- ‘Poverty data in India’, Financial Express, March 2007.
- ‘Special Economic Zones in India: Some Myths and Reality’ IIT Madras, March 2007.
- ‘Understanding the Union Budget’, Frost and Sullivan, Chennai, March 2006.
- ‘Monetary Policy: An Introduction’, Tata Consultancy Services Chennai, Nov 2005.
- ‘The Role of Central Bank’, Tata Consultancy Services Bangalore, Sept. 2005.
- One PhD dissertation on aspects of globalization and inflation in India.
- Two M.Phil dissertations in the area of international trade and industrial performance.
- Three PhD students currently working in the areas of States’ Finances, Trade in Services and Corporate Governance